Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sydney and the Cherry Blossoms

Actually the cherry blossoms are blooming here in Tokyo. I figured I better mention them now because they'll be gone in a few days time. When I was out running at 7AM today, people were already out at the parks, on the riverbanks and in the cemeteries claiming the prime spots under the cherry trees. Yes, that's correct, in the cemeteries. Actually only Aoyama cemetery is where I know people have cherry blossom viewing parties but it wouldn't surprise me if it happened at others. It is a chance to get outside and enjoy a bite and a drink with friends. It is raining now so I wonder how that is working out for them.

We had a great time in Sydney in spite of the cost of things. I think it is now Robyn's favorite city. Our hotel was right by Sydney harbour and so we took the ferries from the wharf there and went all over. We were basically situated right between the harbour bridge and the Sydney opera house. I must say the opera house is more impressive in person than in photos. There is a path that goes along the waterfront and around the opera house that Robyn and I walked and ran on in the mornings.

The first day there was some hoopla festival at nearby Darling Harbour so we went to watch musicians, acrobats, street performers etc. there. The next day we took the ferry across the harbour to Manly. Although you might think it was named after me, you'd be incorrect. Anyway there is a beach and little shopping area there. The kids played at the beach a little but that afternoon we swam at Bondi beach, Australia's most famous. The water was way too cold though. On Wednesday we took in the zoo and the Imax theater. The zoo was fun, it is nice and big and has great views of Sydney harbor. We went to the top of the Sydney tower to get a view of the city on Thursday and then went back to Darling Harbour to see the aquarium. We were go, go, go all the time and the kids were troopers about walking so much.

I'm not sure which city is more expensive, Tokyo or Sydney. We couldn't even have a casual breakfast in Sydney without the bill ballooning up to $50 or $60. Our first eating establishment was, any guesses? Yes, it was Krispy Kreme. Unfortunately they were selling donuts for $2.30 apiece. Good thing we didn't have any more than 19 dozen of those. Actually just a half dozen. We couldn't afford any more. Maybe it was just because we were in the prime restaurant/real estate area. If you are planning a visit, bring an extra suitcase full of cash.

Here are our pictures.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the OLED, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://oled-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

The title of this post sounds like a band that Sydney would be in at about age 13.

Anonymous said...

Well said.