Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Winter Doldrums

We are currently riding out a "wind chill warning". This means temperatures are cold. This is a direct quote from the weather channel (online edition):

TEMPERATURES THIS AFTERNOON WILL REMAIN NEARLY STATIONARY OR RISE A DEGREE OR TWO... BUT STILL REMAIN BETWEEN 4 TO 12 BELOW ZERO. NORTHERLY WINDS OF 10 TO 20 MPH THROUGH THIS AFTERNOON WILL CAUSE WIND CHILL READINGS OF 30 BELOW TO 40 BELOW ZERO. OVERNIGHT LOWS TONIGHT WILL DROP TO NEAR 30 BELOW ZERO TO AROUND 20 BELOW ZERO. DURING THE OVERNIGHT HOURS INTO THURSDAY MORNING... WIND CHILLS WILL TUMBLE TO 35 BELOW TO 45 BELOW ZERO.

It kind of reminds me of a comedian's schpiel (sp?) on the starving Africans from 20 years ago. He said they were living in the desert, of course they couldn't grow food in sand. We are living in the Northern Plains, of course it is going to be d*mn cold. And I don't mean to be making light of people starving anywhere, just drawing a parallel. And I'm not saying my suffering from cold = people dying. Have I covered all the politically correct bases yet?

Cole and I turned in his pinewood derby car for cub scouts last night. We had a last minute scare when the car came in too long because of the exhaust pipes we added in the back. Fortunately the always prepared scouts had problems like this in mind and all sorts of power tools were on hand. So I pulled the exhaust pipes off, redrilled the holes and stuck the pipes back on, only deeper this time. After that we glued on an extra penny to get the weight up to the allowable limit and we were good to go. The actual racing takes place this Friday night. Pictures and results to follow. Wish Cole good luck.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have two comments:
Spiel, while it may be pronounced with an sh sound, is spelled SPIEL.
Second, it isn't like you are living in the North or South Pole where their temps go and stay well below zero for months. Put your long underwear on and quit whining about the weather. You are getting tiresome.
And that analogy - are you saying you are trying to grow food in snow? Or that you are starving and have to eat snow? Or maybe that you wished you lived in Africa so you could shovel sand rather than snow?

Anonymous said...

Cole's cousin won first prize for his pinewood derby car. Let's keep up the tradition!

AZ said...

I agree, I agree, my complaining is getting tiresome even to me. But it seems it doesn't need to be the North or South Pole, Minnesota is bad enough to make me whine. I'm afraid to say it, but the complaining might not be done.

And as for the analogy, you not getting it says more about you than the analogy.

I just hope Cole's pinewood derby car finishes respectably. Last year a friend of Cole's got the trophy for last place. I don't want to do that.