Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Africa here I come

I was hoping a little mention about the Congo would inspire a few comments. Turns out I think the corn soup was more popular. Anyway, I'm leaving this Friday for a trip to the heart of Africa. I'll fly from Tokyo to Hong Kong to Johannesburg to Lusaka, Zambia and then on to Kolwezi, Democratic Republic of the Congo. Sunday the 23rd, I'll do that trip in reverse. Why? A couple years ago Robyn's brother Bill went with a group of guys from WorldVision to the village of Kolwezi. They "adopted" the village and have continuing school and water projects there. Robyn and I "adopted" two kids there, a 7 year old boy and 4 year old girl. Now I'm going with many of these same guys, Bill included, to visit the village, see the projects and meet our "adopted" kids. I'm not really sure what to expect although I know we won't be in a village of 20 mud huts. Kolwezi has a population of over 400,000 so it is definitely a metropolitan area. However, what does that mean for Africa? I don't know. I'm mostly going in with an open mind, excited to see what I see.

After doing that for a few days we are going on a safari. We'll be staying at the Waterberry Lodge. It seems to have a lot of adventure opportunities. I'll be sure to post pictures when I return.

Cole and Kaori are doing well in school. Kaori enjoys going every day and her class alternates between Japanese and English each day. I can tell she is picking up some Japanese even though she isn't using it. Cole has made the "A" swim team, he was on the "B" team last year. I'm still surprised at the amount of homework he has. He does at least 30 minutes everyday, sometimes more. I never had that much when I was in 2nd grade.

AZ

4 comments:

Amanda:) said...

Wow! What an exciting trip! I'm sure you'll come back to Tokyo with a whole new perspective on life. Enjoy your time in Africa.

Glad to hear the kids are doing well in school. Congrats to Cole for making the A swim team!

Anonymous said...

Make sure you post pictures of your adopted kids - I want to see what my other nephew and neice look like! What are their names?

The Waterberry Lodge website has some great photos posted by guests - looks like it will be a true adventure.

Have you read Beryl Markham's book "Out of Africa"? Good reading. You can tell me what memsahib means when you get back. :)

Makelele Kâzingufu Mazimu said...

Hi

You are not on the way to "a village in the savannah, in the middle of nowhere" !
Kolwezi, "my" town, is now a pity, regarding his situation in the '70...

But it is live and activities here.
Too minings, not enough social activities...

I lack of current data, regarding the lack of good, responsible correspondents, for years.
I have many websites "on construction" without contents...

But many news and facts regarding Kolwezi today are available (in French, sorry...the web sites will be bilingual...) at "La Gazette de Kolwezi" or www.kolwezi.info !

Good luck!
have a nice journey...and take care of any "authority" or "(security) service" : police, ANR, army, intelligence service of the army, GR (formally GSSSP)!...
And also BEFORE to take any picture : ask advice to your local friends !

Kind regards
"Makelele Kâzingufu Mazimu"

Anonymous said...

Hi, we got an email from Anthony. He made it to Lusaka, Zambia safe and sound. He'll meet up with my brother, Bill, and the others tomorrow to take the final leg of the trip.