Monday, June 9, 2008

Oshima!

For pictures click here. They are of all my teammates who did the race so you won't recognize people in a lot of the pictures.

We had great weather on Saturday. Warm enough for the spectators but not too warm for the competitors. It didn't seem to help the ocean though because that water was cold! First of all, I'll get to the question that you are all wondering. Yes, I did hurl after the swim. I don't know why. I felt fine running up the beach. Then we had to head up a long concrete ramp and it just hit me. I stopped once and dry heaved a little and then again a little later to empty my stomach. Not pleasant. But really, the swim went very well. I could see the fish and rocks and scuba divers at the bottom of the ocean.

Next I'd have to say the bike went well because I beat my goal time but after I think about it a bit I'm wondering if it really did. We did four laps of a 10k route but halfway through the first lap I went in the ditch and flew over the handlebars and then the bike flew back over me. I smacked my head hard; good thing helmets are mandatory. I was left bruised and bloody but able to continue. The handlebars on the bike were bent down and to the right, good thing we were going in clockwise loops. After that I dropped some gels I was going to take and lost my water bottle. Maybe it wasn't so good.

Finally to the run, which is supposed to be my best part. Unfortunately it was the only one that I didn't beat my goal time. I think after emptying my stomach and misplacing an energy gel (it was hiding in my bag) I just ran out of gas. Still I beat my goal of 2:45 by 90 seconds. I guess that means I'll be back. I mean, fix a few of those little things and just think how much faster I could go.


In the end we all had a great time. Cole and Kaori say they are excited to do some kids triathlons with me and I think Robyn just might have a new job (unpaid) as team photographer. We even enjoyed the traditional Japanese dinner and breakfast. Well, maybe not the kids so much.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!!

Were you the only one to lose your lunch? Is there a place for that?

AZ said...

I didn't see anybody else lose their lunch but I did see another wipeout on the bike. There isn't a specific place to hurl but that isn't a bad idea. I think everybody pretty much leaves you alone when you are doing that.

Anonymous said...

Nice photos. The ones of all the red and yellow capped people heading into the sea made me think of lemmings. Also, you look very skinny in your wetsuit - Barry Manilow-esque.
Did you notice that the rock wall you biked by looked like cow hide??
Tell Robyn she needs to be in front of the camera running in the race next time. There were lots of women.

AZ said...

You know I was thinking I was looking slim in the wetsuit too, but a Barry Manilow comparison? Now you are just being malicious.

Not time to notice the rock wall, it was just a bloody blur as I went by.