Thursday, January 31, 2008

Sapporo Snow Festival

This weekend we are going to the Sapporo Snow Festival. It doesn't officially start until next Tuesday but we were clued in to go the weekend before because most of the sculptures and attractions are already up but without the tens of thousands of people. Sapporo is the largest city on Japan's northernmost island, Hokkaido. Likely you have only heard of it because of Sapporo beer, maybe not even because of that. There will be snow and ice sculptures there, snow slides and mazes and lots of food. Not sure how much of the food we'll eat though because it's not like going to the Minnesota state fair is it. Although there will be food on a stick I doubt it will be of the deep fried candy bar and pronto pup variety. More likely yakitori (chicken), tako (octopus) balls and the like. All in all it should be fun though. It is famous like the St. Paul winter festival to which we have never been.


I also have to mention that we have tried corn soup. As part of our "try new restaurants" oath, we happened to go to Smoky's, which, as a restaurant, I'd highly recommend. It is known for sausages of all things and has a few different options of sausage platters to order. I ended up going with the recommended "spicy" selection. It didn't disappoint. In fact it was delicious and is driving my impulse to forego the new restaurants and return to Smoky's. The kids enjoyed their hamburger steaks but Robyn was a little less pleased with her spam-like meatloaf sandwich. But my sausages, I tell you what, they were grade A. The platter included chorizo and (I'm embarrassed to admit) two other kinds that I don't remember what they are. They were so good that I even ate the sauerkraut-looking-but-not-tasting vegetable item that accompanied them. This is a must attend for all you future Tokyo-visiting folks.


What was I talking about again? Oh yeah, corn soup. Well, as an included side item to Robyn's spam, I mean meatloaf sandwich, she got a bowl of corn soup. It was definitely not a chowder as it wasn't chunky or thick at all. In fact it was kind of creamy and light. It was very tasty and hopefully it is something that will draw Robyn in so we can revisit a new favorite restaurant.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can think about is all of those eunuch octopus...

Anonymous said...

Where are the Sapporo photos? Were there snow mazes and what all did you eat at the festival?

I think I can still forgo corn soup, and I can almost always forgo a plate of sausages. I think I would find another new restaurant to try. Isn't there a Culver's there??

AZ said...

I knew there'd be a smart aleck comment about the "tako balls". In fact, I almost made one myself to pre-empt everybody else.

Well, you are an impatient lot aren't you. The pictures are coming. The write up is coming. Chotto mate!

Also, you really should try the sausages.